"The plot of an Alafair Burke thriller doesn't just rip from the headlines. She's one step ahead of them. 212 scares you and keeps you turning the pages into the wee hours."
— Harlan Coben

Read More>

Follow Alafair on:



Blog


More from Thrillerfest

Saturday, July 12, 2008

This afternoon, I was "Panel Master" at Thrillerfest for a panel on From Your Profession to Creative Passion, where I chatted with Laura Caldwell (lawyer), Jonathon Santlofer (artist), Adam Gittlin (commercial real estate), Julie Compton (lawyer), and Douglas Preston (formerly of the American Museum of Natural History) about the transition from and/or between our original professions and the writing gig.

I learned a lot about how other writers find the time to write despite other obligations. I try to write every day, even if it's a paragraph, and then never let myself skip two days in a row. At least that way the material never gets ice cold, and I can leap back in once I'm at the keyboard. It was also interesting for me to hear about the leaps of faith that Jonathon and Douglas took when they left day jobs. Thank goodness my profession complements my creative passion.

I resisted the urge to load up on new books, but I did get a copy of Preston's new non-fiction book, The Monster of Florence (with Mario Spezi), which is supposed to rock. Alas, I didn't get any pictures (bad blogger!).

posted by Alafair Burke at 4:48 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Previous Posts





about books blog newsletter events contact