"The plot of an Alafair Burke thriller doesn't just rip from the headlines. She's one step ahead of them. 212 scares you and keeps you turning the pages into the wee hours."
— Harlan Coben

Read More>

Follow Alafair on:



Blog


Lingo, Acronyms, and Slang...Oh My!

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Most of my time in Portland was spent with my old pals, most of whom either work or previously worked at the D.A.'s Office with me.  As they exchanged stories (always either exciting, hilarious, or both) about their cases, I found myself translating for the husband.  "Did you tack on a K2?"  That's kidnapping in the second degree.  "Lamborn's in an Agg."  Trial for aggravated murder.   "He's the MDT deputy."  Multidisciplinary Team.  It's for child abuse cases.


A few years away from the D.A.'s Office, I still knew the lingo, but had enough distance to recognize the need for translation.  The experience reminded me of some of the reviews of my first book, Judgment Calls, many of which praised the "attention to detail," "insider's view," and "lingo of the trade," while others decried the "legalese," "jargon," and an "alphabet soup of acronyms."  Since then, I have tried to use law enforcement-y words like a spice -- just enough to give the book the flavor of authenticity, but not so much to overwhelm.  

But the trip to Portland reminded me that the flavor of authenticity is not the real thing.  In reality, cops, prosecutors, and defense lawyers speak another language, one that, if transcribed, would require translation on every single page.  (Let's save the separate discussion of 4 letter words for another day ... in another lifetime.)  So what is a writer to do?  Should a book strive to be readable or realistic?  Have I sold out by cutting down on the lingo, or have I grown enough as a writer to portray that world authentically despite cutting through the slang?  As readers, do you enjoy the insider jargon or does it take you away from the story?  I like to think I've struck the right balance in recent books, but, still, I wonder...

posted by Alafair Burke at 1:12 PM

4 Comments:

Blogger Jen Forbus said...

I do recall when I read Judgment Calls, at first I was having to flip back and forth, 'what did that mean again?' But as I got into the book, I definitely liked the authenticity. Because even a lay person such as myself is going to notice unrealistic dialogue, even if they don't know exactly WHAT the person should be saying. Since Dead Connection is what I've read most recently and therefore have foremost in my mind, I can say that I didn't feel like I was belabored by anything, and I didn't feel the characters were unrealistic with their dialogue. I think you're doing a great job! Keep it up!!

July 26, 2008 at 4:51 PM  
Blogger No said...

I like the lingo- with the translation in parentheisis or a * with an explanation at the bottom of the page or at the end of the book...I like learning new things.

July 27, 2008 at 5:44 AM  
Blogger Califa said...

Since I work in the police department I know exactly what you mean about the lingo and I do hear the D.A.'s comments too at times. It is truly another world. We always say that we could work in City Hall easy enough but for anyone from there to come to the PD would be like an alien world. It isn't just lingo of course, it is the language, graphic at many times, that would be hard for the ordinary clerk.

The stories are the best though aren't they especially those from the old timers.

Your books might not get it all but what they do get makes for a much more exciting dialogue and I do think it gives the average person a small window into the world of law enforcement.

Peggy

July 27, 2008 at 7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with "no". Leave the lingo in (ala NYPD Blue and The Shield). I'd prefer the explanation at the end of the book, so if the terminology is used again later in the book, the reader doesn't have to flip back and find the right page.

July 27, 2008 at 7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Previous Posts





about books blog newsletter events contact