"The plot of an Alafair Burke thriller doesn't just rip from the headlines. She's one step ahead of them. 212 scares you and keeps you turning the pages into the wee hours."
— Harlan Coben

Read More>

Follow Alafair on:



Blog


A menagerie of Alafairs

Friday, August 22, 2008

I have been receiving lots of thoughtful emails this week about the launch of Angel's Tip. One of the questions I'm most frequently asked is about the origin of my first name. I was named for my father's maternal grandmother. I think the name may be Welsh or Scottish, but I know for certain that it was more common in the US, particularly in the south, in the 1800s and early 1900s, but has since died out. These days the name seems to belong only to me, some cousins, the fictional character Alafair Robicheaux, and these very cute Alafairs I found while procrastinating on the internet: her, her, her (on the right), her (love the toy), and, perhaps my favorite, her. I suppose if it rained 40 days and 40 nights, we could all stay afloat on this.

posted by Alafair Burke at 6:27 AM

5 Comments:

Blogger Jen Forbus said...

You're right! They are cute - I couldn't get to the one with the toy, but all the others are darling...maybe the name makes you destined to cuteness.

August 23, 2008 at 4:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And there is another fictional Alafair besides Dave Robicheaux's daughter: Alafair Tucker, a circa-1912 Oklahoma heroine in a mystery series written by Donis Casey. Don't let this scare you but that Alafair has about eight children.

August 23, 2008 at 7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I was going to say that the first time I heard the name Alafair was in Donis Casy's books. You were the second time I'd heard it. And, yes, Alafair Tucker has 10 children. She's a great sleuth though.

I do enjoy your books and look forward to ANGEL'S TIP!

August 23, 2008 at 5:55 PM  
Blogger Alafair Burke said...

Maybe I repressed the thought of Donis Casey's Alafair Tucker because all of those kids. This particular Alafair prefers to be an aunt.

August 23, 2008 at 7:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Awwwwwww....they are awfully cute but I bet they can't write as well as you! My husband and I love your books, and your dad is our favorite writer. I have been waiting for Amazon to send us your new book and it arrived today! While waiting, I have been re-reading your dad's books. LOL.

Ah! The Democratic Convention AND a new Alafair book. What a great last week of summer vacation before I start teaching next Tuesday. Thank you. Those pictures are just too cute! veronicat

August 26, 2008 at 1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Previous Posts





about books blog newsletter events contact